What is Centella Asiatica ?
Centella asiatica, commonly known as centella, Brahmi, Asiatic pennywort or Gotu kola, is a herbaceous, frost-tender perennial plant in the flowering plant family Apiaceae.It is native to wetlands in Asia.It is used as a culinary vegetable and as a medicinal herb.
Chemical Constituents of Centella Asiatica
The purported active components of gotu kola, accounting for 1-8% of the constituents, include asiatic acid, madecassic acid, asiaticoside, asiaticoside A, and asiaticoside B. The leaves of Centella asiatica have also been reported to contain 170mg calcium, 30mg phosphorous, 3.1mg iron, 414mg potassium, 6.58mg beta-carotene, 0.15mg thiamine, 0.14mg riboflavin, 1.2mg
Benefits of Centella Asiatica for Skin
1. Boosts the production of fibronectin, collagen type I, collagen type III, and stimulates fibroblast proliferation, for tighter, firmer skin and connective tissue.
2. Protects elastin and hyaluronic acid from breakdown, thereby protecting skin elasticity, health and hydration.
3. Fights skin ageing and wrinkles, due to this combined actions on collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid.
4. Management of eczema, psoriasis, veins and stretch marks. For acne sufferers, it speeds healing, helping to prevent scarring and prevent future blemishes.
5. Prevent hypertrophic scars and keloids, accelerate wound healing and treat burns
6. Improves moisture-retention in the skin, which may inadvertently induce a skin-soothing effect.
7. Anti-inflammatory effects: In rats, Madecassol was shown to decrease the severity of radiation-induced dermatitis vs. control.